The Guide: Getting the Perfect Frames

I've been wearing glasses practically my whole life. My mom said it was because I always stayed too close to the TV as a child and was glued for hours on end (Damn you, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!). Well, looking at all the models I've had these years, I can say it's been quite a ride.

You name it, I've had 'em all: Thick gold-rimmed D.O.M. models, thin black-rimmed librarian types, ill-advised rimless numbers, and an athletic piece from Nike. I've spent years looking for that one frame that will be "the one" I will grow old with, and coincidentally, it was my girlfriend who gave me the perfect pair I believe I'll be wearing till I probably can't see no more.

The Pair I Love: Rayban Browline Glasses (my girlfriend's perfect gift!)

Sentimentality aside, I for one feel very fortunate to wear specs on a regular basis. It gives me that much needed air of intellectualism, even when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Another major plus is the added style statement they make. I mean, can you imagine Woody Allen, David Hockney, and Andy Warhol without their signature frames? If done right, your glasses can be your trademark, and yeah, you don't even have to be as talented as the people above to pull it off!

Now where would Woody Allen be without his glasses?

The first thing you have to look at when choosing glasses is the shape of your face. A general guideline is to get glasses that are the opposite of your face shape. For example, if you have a round face, go for square frames that'll give you the edges you need. If you have a square face, try oval or circular frames to soften your corners.

Whatever shape your face is, though, I'd advise you to go for thick, bold frames. You're gonna spend on 'em anyway, so might as well go for it all and get that statement piece you didn't think you could pull off. Confidence, bruh, confidence!

Super Indeed: These tortoise shell glasses from Super are what I'm talking about!

Now just in case I haven't given you enough to work with (shame on me),
watch as the folks from GQ give their take on how to get that perfect pair. Some of my favorite eyeglass models make cameo appearances, so keep your eyes open, however blurry that vision of yours may be!



Photo courtesy of Boston.com; video courtesy of GQ

5 comments:

............... said...

Do you know what style of Rayban those are? They look different from the Clubmans that I've seen from Rayban. They're really nice glasses.

Sam Kingston said...

I second that last comment. I really need to know that style!

Anonymous said...

I also would love to know the style! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

do u know a place where i can get my raybans frames adjusted? its slipping when i get really really sweaty plus i have overactive facial sebaceous glands.thanks!

Anonymous said...

What is the name of these!?

Post a Comment