The Guide: Tying Your Own Bow Tie

I've noticed lately that more and more people are now wearing bow ties. A real welcome change, I have one more request though: Please people, let's not depend too much on clip-ons.

It just may be the purist in me, but I believe that you're gonna wear a bow tie, tying it is an intrinsic part of the process. I mean, every time I finish putting my knot together, I have a sense of accomplishment, a mini life victory of sorts. It makes me feel very grown up. On the contrary, clip-ons remind me of little boys during their first communions. I know I wore one then.

Well, friends, it's time to grow up. I actually just learned to tie a bow tie last year when my sweet girlfriend game me two Joey Samson bow ties for our anniversary (thanks hun!). The day after I got 'em, I scoured the internet for tutorial videos and practiced until I mastered the art.

Today, I share with you the two videos I thought were most helpful. May it serve you as well as it did me and guide you from those manufactured clip-ons to a knot that you can call your very own.

Here's an American tutorial from some gents from South Carolina.


And here's a British version from the people of the world famous Savile Row



It's funny how old guys are featured in these videos almost all the time. Just affirms my belief that grandpas really know a thing or two about style.

0 comments:

Post a Comment