The Editorial: A Style that's All Grown Up

While the young streetwear revolution is alive and well here in Manila, I can't help but notice that more and more are sporting clothes which were once considered (gasp) "daddy wear." Y'know, the uniform that consisted of such staples as loafers, trousers, and long-sleeved shirts, which were once associated with people over 35? Strangely, I find myself gravitating towards them a lot these days. And no, I don't feel old at all!

I remember a time when I was shopping in Zara when I bumped into a friend of mine. I was eyeing this pair of driving mocs and I thought of asking her opinion about it. "Hindi ba masyadong pang daddy?" she quipped. And that's when it hit me. She was right, but the shoes looked so damn handsome that I
got 'em no matter what she said. This was two years ago, and since then, I've slowly built up my "old man" wardrobe not just for work, but even for days-off.

Moccasins by Tod's: For daddies only? Of course not!

I don't know when the tipping point was for this movement, but I believe that doors were opened when people like Kanye West and Pharrell Williams started suiting up. To me, seeing these hip-hop icons in more refined clothing signaled that it was okay to wear such garb, cool even. Being as influential as they are, droves of people started following suit (pun intended) all over the world and began dressing a little more grown and sexy.

Pharrell looking dapper in classic grown up gear

Seeing the growing demand for the look, clothing stores began adapting too. Brands began releasing fitted polos which flattered torsos. Stores began reinterpreting classic shoes in slimmed down, more colorful versions. And retailers brought back chinos and khakis to a market that was dominated by jeans. The whole industry seemed to be changing with the times, with even massive brands like Bench putting attention to their dressed up lines.

A repost, but the best example of daddy shoes turned awesome (Fred Perry x Raf)

As you would have it, all these elements came together at just the right time, making the transition easier for boys to start dressing like men. No longer is it laughable for an 18-year old to wear boat shoes (a daddy favorite) nor is it unusual for a youngin' to wear cardigans (a grandpa favorite). With the youthful exuberance of this new generation, such classics are given a fresh interpretation, a new life, as it were.

A look that's old and new at the same time

And so I came to a realization that I never would have had way back in high school: The daddies who've been styling the way they have aren't lame at all; they might even be on to something. They had the right idea of investing in classic, more sophisticated pieces, and if anything, this should be a lesson that all of us young ones should learn and pass on to generations after us.

Speaking of pass on, please excuse me while I check out my dad's old tassled loafers. Once on my ugly list, it has now become quite the object of desire. Imagine that.

Photos courtesy of Tod's, GQ, Hign Snobiety and Rugby

2 comments:

khaz said...

i have lolo in me also. i own three pairs of loafers. i like that they're fuddy-duddy. i like it more that they're comfy

Styles I Love said...

hey khaz. i totally agree with the loafer praise there. actually regret converting to them so late!

Post a Comment